Saturday, October 2, 2010

Random Septemberness

Dinner for Eight
In June, we signed up at church for a program called Dinner for Eight.  We were looking to meet more people like us in the church and maybe connect with some other families.  Turns out, the program was designed to be "intergenerational."  I think we may have been the only people in our generation to sign up, because we were matched up with 3 other couples who are all retired.  I guess retired couples who don't have children at home have more time for hosting and attending dinners.  Well, we hosted the first gathering on the 19th.  It went well.  The kids were well-behaved, the food was excellent (thanks to Rudy) and the company was nice.  We spent the whole day cleaning the house.  My mom even came up on Friday to help with the kids and the laundry and the thousand other things that had been neglected because of the stress and busyness that I mentioned in the previous post.  With her help, we managed to get the house cleaned to company worthy status and get everything ready in time.  Now our hosting turn is over.  We go to someone else's house from now on.  We'll enjoy the remaining 3 meals, but I'm not sure we'll sign up again until we're retired and don't have kids in our house. 

Haircut
While Mom was at the house on the 15th, I went to get my hair cut.  I decided on the way there that I was ready to do something a little different with my hair.  My appointment was ridiculously long (4 hours!), but I left there with a good haircut and color.  I felt much better about the way it looked.  When I got home, Caleb laughed at me and told me I looked funny.  Later that night, he said, "I hope it's not going to look like that all the time.  I don't like it."  Nothing helps the self-esteem quite like the honesty of a child.

Weight Update
Ugh!  I hate trying to lose weight - especially when my stress level is through the roof.  But...I haven't given up.  I'm still monitoring my calorie burn every day with my BodyBugg, trying really hard to do Zumba at least 2 days a week and watching every bite I put in my mouth.  I don't always make the best food choices.  Sometimes, I give in to my stress and eat things I know I shouldn't.  But, I do feel like I've made some positive changes.  I haven't lost as much as I had hoped by now - only about 7 pounds.  I rededicate myself every day and I'm still making progress, just slow progress.

No comments: