Monday, October 1, 2007

Weekend (and) Update

We were excited to have Jerry and Sherry come visit this weekend! They didn't get to our house until almost midnight Friday night. We stayed up talking until we couldn't keep our eyes open anymore. They brought Caleb a Bubble Blower Mower and an adorable outfit from Rebecca. Rebecca also sent Caleb a little stuffed monkey that he has fallen in love with! For some reason, he calls it "Bobo."

Friday afternoon, Caleb got a terrible haircut at Great Clips, so I took him back on Saturday morning and asked for a do-over. The lady that I like was there and she did a great job. However...it's really short! As fast as his hair grows, though - I'm not worried about it!

Saturday morning, we were outside playing and Caleb took his first big tumble...right into a brick wall. In addition to his big mosquito bite on his cheek, he looks like this:


Jerry and Sherry volunteered (with vigor) to keep Caleb while Rudy and I went to the Razorback game, even though we offered Jerry the chance to go to the game with Rudy. They wouldn't have anything to do with it! So, we went to the game on Saturday. They decided to be nostalgic and took a trip to campus during the game. They even snuck a peek at the game from outside of the stadium. They took Caleb all over campus and then went to eat in Tontitown. They didn't get home much earlier than we did!

Sunday morning, we had a wonderful home-cooked breakfast (courtesy of Chef Rudy). It was a nice morning. We visited and played with Caleb until Jerry and Sherry left. As I wrote in my last post, Caleb wouldn't go down for a nap on Sunday. He cried and cried until I thought he was going to make himself sick! Little did I know!

After going to the ER on Sunday night, we struggled to get up and ready for work on Monday morning. When I was giving Caleb his medicine before we left, I noticed that Caleb's left eye was a little goopy, the way it gets when he has a cold. I cleaned it up and didn't worry too much about it. When we got to Pine Crest, I noticed that there was a little blood mixed in with the discharge from his ear. That worried me, but I thought it was probably just from the infection, or maybe from the examination the night before. I (of course) had it on my mind all morning, so I called to check on him when I got to my school. One of the front desk ladies had just gone down to check on him and said that his ear was still bleeding and that it wasn't looking good. I asked her to call me if it got worse and she agreed. I called and made a doctor's appointment for the afternoon. Later in the afternoon, the school called and said that his eye had swollen almost shut. I was worried sick by the time I met Rudy and Caleb at the doctor's office. By the time we got in to see the doctor, Caleb was worn out and pretty agitated. Dr. Byrum looked at Caleb's ear and said it was really bad and then looked at his eye and grimaced a little. He made some changes to our medication regimen and said that if it isn't better by Thursday, we need to come back for a culture. We're now giving Caleb 2 doses of oral antibiotic, 4 doses of eye drop antibiotic and 4 doses of ear drop antibiotic each day. It's an awful lot of medicine and pain for him. He hates it so much! Agggghhhh! I nervously asked if he could go to school tomorrow and Dr. Byrum said no. He has to stay home until he's on the antibiotic eye drops for 24 hours. So - I'll be home with Caleb tomorrow. I can't really complain about that, but it does make 3 1/2 sick days for me already this year! Oh, well. I have my priorities and if anyone questions that, they are being ridiculous.

If you're reading this, you must care about our little family, so please say prayers that Caleb will get better soon and life will get back to normal. We all need a break!

No comments: