Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bye-Bye, Bottles!

We went cold turkey on bottles this week. That approach worked so well with the pacifiers that we decided it must be the way to go with Caleb. So - over the past couple of months, we've been giving Caleb a sippy cup every once in a while. On Saturday, we went full-fledged sippy!

We had a night out with some friends on Friday, so Caleb spent the night with Jerry, Sherry and Rebecca. Saturday night, when it was time for bed, I loaded up a sippy with some milk and we headed for the rocking chair. He looked at me like I was a little crazy, but took the cup anyway. It was when I tried to put him down to bed that he fell apart. He cried and struggled to go to bed for almost an hour. He finally wore himself out and went on to sleep. I felt so bad for him, but I know this is the best thing. He needs to move on from his bottles and now is the time to do it. Besides - it's easier on everyone if we do it before he can say, "I want my bottle!" with tears in his eyes. Since then, he's done okay. He takes the sippy cups well and we've found that he does best with the Gerber cups, rather than the Playtex ones. I would love to be able to give him the Avent cups, since they vent out air, but they are about $4.00 each and that's just ridiculous! The ones he has now make him burp like a grown man, but he gets a big smile on his face when he does it, so I guess that's not so bad.

Last night, our real estate agent had a "rush hour open house" from 5-7, so we had to get out of the house. We went to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner and Caleb loved it! That restaurant has stuff all over the walls and hanging from the ceiling, so he had plenty to look at. There was a huge shark hanging from the ceiling right above our table and Caleb was very amused by that. He kept pointing at things all over the restaurant and yelling, "Dah!" Plus...he has officially started dancing! He's been imitating me when I sing and dance by bouncing a little bit, but last night, he did it all by himself. He heard Elvis' "Hunk of Burnin' Love" and I laughed out loud when I noticed that he was bouncing in his chair dancing. He was the hit of the restaurant!

No comments: