Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Fat Tuesday!

This year I decided to celebrate Not-So-Fat Tuesday. I passed up the King Cake in the teacher's lounge, worked my tail off at Zumba and then came home to make a reduced calorie version of Shrimp & Crawfish Creole. I'm not much of a cook, and I even have trouble following a recipe, but it turned out pretty good. I've never posted a recipe before, but I've been asked to share it, so here goes...

Ingredients:
- 1 lb raw shrimp (peeled & deveined, w/o tails) {I bought a 14 oz bag with tails, b/c I wasn't about to pay the price for fresh seafood at this time of year.}
- 1 lb crawfish tail meat {It kills me to use the bagged frozen crawfish from Vietnam, but that's all I can get around here when they aren't in season and I'm sure not going to peel enough of them to get a whole pound of tail meat.}
- 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 stalk of celery (all chopped) {the Holy Trinity of Cajun recipes}
- 1/2 c parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 c green onions (chopped)
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 (14 oz) cans of tomato sauce
- 1/2 c butter substitute (we use smart balance & you could probably get by with using a little less)
- 2 garlic cloves
- brown rice

Directions:
1. Sauté onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic & butter substitute until golden
2. Add meat. Cover & cook on medium heat until the shrimp are pink
3. Add tomato sauce & paste. Cook about 30-40 minutes on low-med heat.
5. Add parsley & green onions. Cook 5 minutes.
6. Serve over brown rice.

It made 8 cups - not counting the rice. In case you're wondering, each 1 cup serving was 6 WW PointsPlus points. The rice was 6 points per cup. Not too shabby for a 12 point dinner!

Laissez bon temps rouler!