Friday, May 12, 2006

My First Mother's Day

What a great day! Last year on Mother's Day, we had decided to start trying to have a baby. I remember hoping that last year would be my last Mother's Day without a baby of my own. Thanks be to God that I am able to celebrate Mother's Day this year as a mother. I have always known this day as a time to thank and celebrate my mother and grandmothers. Now, the day has new meaning. I am able to celebrate the love that I have for my baby boy and the wonder that is motherhood. Jan got here yesterday afternoon and is just as in love with Caleb as the rest of us. Yesterday was a hard day for us. We had to put our beloved beagle Lucy to sleep. She had a ruptured tendon in one of her knees and was on the verge of rupturing the other one. We decided that it would be best for her if we just helped her to not feel pain anymore. It was one of the hardest decisions we've ever made. We were with her the whole time and we are at peace now, just like Lucy is.

Back to Mother's Day... I slept this morning while Jan and Rudy took care of Caleb and some things around the house. When I got up, Rudy had flowers waiting for me and 2 cards - one from him and one from Caleb. It was very sweet. He made breakfast for his mom and I and then we spent a "normal" Sunday around the house. We weren't quite ready for the hullabaloo of going to church, but other than that, everything was fine. I talked to my mom and to Memmie and wished them both a very Happy Day! Jerry, Sherry and Rebecca came over this afternoon. We all visited for a while, then went to dinner at Chili's. Jan bought dinner for us as a celebration of my first Mother's Day. Caleb slept through the whole thing! What a wonderful day!

No comments: